Beacon Immigration PLLC

Q-1 Visa USA

Cultural Exchange Visa

At Beacon Immigration, we understand the complexities of navigating the U.S. immigration system. One area that we focus on is the Q visa, also known as the cultural exchange visa or Disney visa.

Q-1 Visa Requirements

The Q-1 Cultural Exchange Visa offers foreign nationals the opportunity to participate in cultural exchange programs in the United States. This nonimmigrant visa promotes the sharing of traditions, language, performing arts, and cultural experiences.

The Q-1 visa is designed for individuals who wish to engage in employment that focuses on sharing their native culture with the American public. To qualify, you need a job offer from a U.S. employer participating in an established international cultural exchange program. The program must have a cultural component, and the sponsor must be a designated non-profit organization or government entity.

The Q visa allows a worker to be employed for up to 15 months, with a 30-day transition period afterward in which the worker may stay in the U.S. while not working. After the worker spends a year abroad, they may be sponsored once again for a Q visa, for an additional 15 months.

Application Process

To apply for a Q-1 visa, the sponsoring employer or organization must file a petition (Form I-129) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on your behalf. Optionally, the employer may also file form I-907 for Premium Processing, which currently costs $2,500.

Once USCIS approves the Q application, the worker will then hold Q immigration status if they are already in the U.S. (called a “change of status”), or they will need to apply for a Q visa if they are abroad by filing form DS-160 with the Department of State (called “consular processing”). They will then need to attend an interview for their Q visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate – if approved, the worker is allowed to come to the U.S. to participate in their sponsor’s cultural exchange program.

For more in-depth guidance on the necessary forms and supporting documents required in your application, please see our Q-1 checklist.

Q-1 Visa Lawyer New York

If you wish to apply for a Q-1 visa, it’s important to speak with an experienced attorney. Please get in touch today: +1 845-288-2435 /


Beacon Immigration PLLC is a law firm located in the Hudson Valley of New York at 6 Eliza Street, Suite 5, Beacon, NY 12508 (Dutchess County).